1. Make only one resolution. Chances of success are greater when you focus on changing just one aspect of your life.
2. Take some time out over a few days to think about what you want to achieve.
3. Avoid previous resolutions. If it didn’t work before for you, chances are it won’t work again!
4. Think about what you really want out of life. Don’t follow others!
5. Break your goal into a series of steps, maybe make some sub-goals that are measurable.
6. Tell your friends and family about your goals.
7. To stay motivated, maybe make a checklist of how achieving your resolution will help you.
8. Give yourself a reward whenever you achieve a step which will give you a sense of progress. Flowers, lunch with a friend, massage —
9. If its helpful – you could do a spreadsheet or stick some graphs or pictures on your fridge. Or set reminders on your phone.
10. Expect to revert to your old habits from time to time. Treat any failure as a temporary hiccup rather than a reason to give up altogether.